Friday, November 6, 2009

Did Rick Rubin kill the Avett Brothers?

While painting my dining room today, I decided to finally give a serious listen to the new Avett Bros album I and Love and You. I had casually listened to parts of it before, and realized it was different, but did not realize how much this album departed from their previous ventures.

This album was produced by Rick Rubin, the co-head of Columbia Records. While he is well known as the man who gave you Walk This Way, Johnny Cash's The Man Comes Around, and License to Ill, this album will not be one that stands the test of time. Rubin is well known for helping artists grow and challenge themselves. Unfortunately, in this process the Avett Brothers lost themselves.

The title track I and Love and You is by far the highlight of the album. The song is dominated by the piano and spells out the changes that are occurring as a band. The transition from NC to NY, the growth and maturation as a band as well as individuals is evident and appreciated. Unfortunately, it is all down hill from there. The first quarter of the album continues slowly, and features the other highlight of the album, Head Full of Doubt, Road Full of Promise. This is a well composed song, that fills the ears, cresting high in a sea of mediocrity. Most of the songs on the album are sparse and dominated by piano. They end up sounding too polished and lacking the noise and dirtiness that the Avett Bros have become known for. This causes most of the album to fall flat and become indistinguishable from any other top forty adult contemporary music that Casey Casem may be pushing. I feel like I might hear it on a Saturday morning right after Casey reads a touching letter where somebody dedicate's Wind beneath my wing to their mom.

Their attempts at the more traditional raucus sound that their fans have grown to love fail. The Perfect Space manages to bring a little life and hope only to have it crushed by songs such as Kick Drum Heart. Listening to this song is a struggle at best. Unfortunately it only gets worse with Tin Man, and Slight Figure of Speech. The production is too crisp and leaves the listener feeling like the band is simply going through the motions (something they could have never been accused of in previous albums).

Overall, the Avett Brothers' attempt at big label success has only crushed the spirit and the fun and sincerity that managed to eminate through their music. Like many bands before them, success may be the undoing of the Avett Brothers. I understand the need to grow as artists, but not at the expense of the essence of the band. Rick Rubin should know better. Before you know it, he will have the Avett Brothers doing a slayer cover before completely disappearing.

7 comments:

Franimal said...

"Rick Rubin should know better."

Should know better? One would think he would after so many years in the business, but it's hard to find evidence that he does.

Rubin is one of the most overrated producers in popular music today. The list of bands who are worse off after working with Rubin continues to grow. The Avetts. The Gossip. Weezer. Audioslave (Ok, they were mediocre to begin with but their Rubin album is worse than their first).

Licensed to Ill is a classic, but even the Beasties did better when they left Def Jam and worked with the Dust Brothers. The albums Rubin did with Johnny Cash are rightly praised, but it's their stripped down sound--the lack of production--that makes them memorable.

Columbia did have the right idea when they hired Rubin to be their talent scout-in-chief. He finds some of the best young artists and his choice of projects is excellent. Now if only the folks at Columbia could find someone else to produce they just might manage to stave off the demise of their label. Or postpone it for a while at any rate.

tpack said...

Fran, you listened to the first Audioslave album? AND the second?

yo its bman said...

Fran -

How's that new nickelback album?

<3

bman

Franimal said...

Doubleteamed by Bman and Travis, huh? I must be dreaming...

As much as I love the indie stuff, sometimes I need to rock out. Bon Iver and Neko Case just don't make the cut when I'm at the gym.

I liked Rage and--despite his solo failures--Chris Cornell can belt it out. So I checked out Audioslave. It may be big dumb arena rock, but it's still got Tom Morello's pyrotechnics. It's a guilty pleasure--I'll own up to that.

And I'm sure I was also just holding on too long, hoping that they could recapture some of the success of their previous work in the 90s. As Weezer fans, I'm sure you both can understand. I didn't even bother to listen to Weezer's Red Album. Somehow I'm still strangely drawn to Raditude.

tpack said...

Have you listened to Raditude yet? For some reason, I am still going to give it a shot in the coming weeks.

On a semi-related note, I haven't worked out to music in a long time (um, maybe because I haven't been to a gym since approx 2004). I used to have headphones for running, but they broke and I have never replaced. I ran into the same problem--you can't work out to the Avett Brothers, espec not this album.

I may try to get a workout playlist up here at some point.

Franimal said...

No, I haven't gotten Rad yet. I'll probably try to listen to it online before I decide whether or not to buy it. What do you think about the Alone albums? I've heard good things.

I've been listening to a lot of punk lately when I'm mountain biking or working out. A good bit of The Dismemberment Plan actually (earlier, not later). Have you thought about doing an exploration of the DC punk scene while you're in town?

yo its bman said...

Travis -

you haven't been to a gym since 2004 because hipster chicks don't dig muscles. duh.

<3 bman

ps- i've been killing the "rise against, bad religion, comeback kid, ten foot pole" pandora quick mix. it would make for a good workout.