Monday, January 30, 2012

The Best Thing I Heard this Week-Chad VanGaalen


Photo by El Diano

In September of 2006, I went to see Band of Horses at the Cat’s Cradle with my sister (I think) while they were touring on their only album worth a listen, Everything All the Time. I only remember three things about the show, and two of them had to do with the opener, Chad VanGaalen. Also, I’m going to refer to him from here on out as CVG because it’s quicker.

1. CVG covered Bruce Springsteen’s “Dancing in the Dark,” and it was awesome. Awesome. Actually, I’m only 90% sure that was the song--I can’t find a setlist but I’m pretty sure. It was the first moment where I thought CVG was surprisingly talented. I don’t even like Bruce Springsteen. At all. Or that song. But CVG made it sounds great.
2. The lead singer of Band of Horses, Ben Bridwell, kept (presciently) telling us that they were going to play new material and we were welcome to go outside and smoke a cigarette while they did so. I should have taken him up on it (and taken up smoking for the night). The followup record, Cease to Begin, was largely awful.
3. CVG also played “Mini TV’s” off of 2006’s Skelliconnection, replete with a Neil Young-esque harmonica part. This was the song that made me remember CVG’s name and motivated me to look up the rest of his work.


Photo by Alterna2

Last night, nearly five years later, I saw CVG at the Rock n Roll Hotel in DC (not actually a hotel). He was not solo this time, but accompanied by three of his closest friends (or so he said). Before we get to the music, a couple of other notes: (1) He’s Canadian; (2) He’s vulgar and hilarious--a couple of lovely soliloquies about the making of Where’s Waldo books and, um, well, eating your own sperm in the case of an apocalypse; (3) Yeah, you probably had to be there. Regardless, it was an interesting setup--they played with 3 guitarist and a drummer (though often one of the guitarists played something close to a bass line on their top string).

It was loud and fun. It reminded me a lot of the scene in the Wilco documentary I Am Trying to Break Your Heart where they jam out on “Kamera” It also added some edge to a few songs on CVG’s new release, Diaper Island (yeah, the title is bad, but wait until I tell you the name of my favorite song). Songs like “Heavy Stones” really came through live (again with the harmonica), though my favorite is “Sara,” which he dedicated to his wife. I’m assuming she’s named Sara. I wish he had played “Shave my Pussy” (told you), but it was a short set and they didn’t get around to it, or maybe they were too embarrassed. Too bad, it’s a great song, despite the title.



I’d love to describe more of CVG’s music--elements of Neil Young, Springsteen, and punk rock abound, varying from song to song--but I think it’d be better to just provide songs. Based on the turnout last night, I’m guessing most have not heard of CVG (maybe he’s more popular in Canada?). So, here’s your Youtube available, Minimum Blues approved playlist, using all four albums:

1. Do Not Fear
2. Willow Tree
3. Heavy Stones
4. Freedom for a Policeman
5. Inside the Molecules
6. TNMT Mask
7. Clinically Dead
8. Wind Driving Dogs
9. After the Afterlife
10. Sing Me to Sleep
11. Bones of Man
12. Bare Feet on Wet Griptape
13. Shave My Pussy
14. City of Electric Light
15. Phantom Anthills
16. Blood Machine
17. Cries of the Dead
18. I Miss You Like I Miss You
19. Mini TV's
20. Sara

No comments: