Monday, January 30, 2012

Volume 1: Axioms and Pickup Trucks



  1. "On the other hand, life is short, and hard, and it seems like good policy to inflict the absolute minimum pain/humiliation on other people as we schlep through the day."-David Foster Wallace, It All Gets Quite Tricky, Harper's Magazine, November 2008.

  2. High schoolers have an inordinate number of important conversations on the backs of cars and pickup trucks. We just watched a Friday Night Lights episode where two kids have one of those conversations that seems like the most important thing in the world at the time, all while sitting on the back of a pickup truck. Pretty sure I had a few of those myself, including the only girl I dated in HS breaking up with me in the school parking lot on the back of my 1983 Volvo 240DL. Makes sense though--at that age you don't usually have anywhere more private or meaningful than your car to stage a discussion.


Photo by Silversldr

No comments: